Sunday, January 31, 2016

Flip of the Switch (Week 3)

Students practicing ignition troubleshooting
This week had its ups and downs. It became more hectic than the previous week. I began teaching 3 classes now, while preparing for 4 for the next week. So let’s start with the lows.


Lows: I noticed throughout the week that students weren’t really paying attention during my ag business course, so I decided to schedule a quiz for Friday. I gave the students multiple opportunities to ask me question, learn the information, and even went over the answers to the quiz the day before! As I was grading the quizzes, I was not happy with the overall scores of the class. I had some students only get two right, with a word bank! It really hurt me to see how students didn’t pay any attention or study.


Students in building class are learning how to cut angles



Build class constructing the stage for school musical 
Highs: Something amazing happened on Friday. I finally had that teacher moment. The switch flipped from student to teacher for me. I remembered why I love teaching. I remembered why I chose this major. It happened during the welding class. The one class I thought I was going to have troubles with turns out to be the most fun to teach! Every time I would turn around there would be a student calling my name. That is when it clicked. This is why I want to be an Agricultural teacher. I look forward to teaching this class the rest of the year.


This week definitely had its highs and lows, but that is what teaching is all about. I can’t wait to pick up the electrical class next week.



Until next time,

Ms. Yoest

2 comments:

  1. Good reflection Erin. How do you think you will change your instructional strategies to engage and excite students so they will want to pay attention?

    I look forward to my first visit next week!

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. A tough question to ask is, " Do students care about their grade?"...that question is followed by "How can I help them care?"

    ReplyDelete