Saturday, January 23, 2016

Take 2!

Week 2 has came and gone quicker than I had imagined! I picked up the Ag Business Management course. It has been a learning week for me. I had high points and I had low points throughout the week.

Egg Dissection in 4th period class

  • High Points: I got one student to volunteer in the classroom. All week I had tried to get students to volunteer answering questions. They sat there like bumps on a log! Eventually I told them ill start pulling names out of a hat to answer questions and that's when I got my first volunteer! Another high point I had was getting to know the students and the special education teacher. When you get some of the students on your side, they bring the whole class around. Knowing the special education teacher will create a connection to work together and not against each other. They gave me tips on how to interact with a student in my class. I learned they are on your side and willing to help. 
  • Low Points: I didn't get my point across the second lesson in. I left students in more confusion than learning. I asked a few of the students after class how they liked it. They like the egg dissection, but they would have liked to have a worksheet with pictures instead of descriptions. For the future lessons, it is important to understand the parts of an egg. I will be going over, this time with a picture, the parts of an egg. 

Overall, this week was a great learning week for me. I got to experience a 2 hour delay schedule, FFA meeting, and beginning to put together a parliamentary procedure team. Week two has came to a close and now for week 3 to begin with 2 more classes to teach. 

Until next week, 
Ms. Yoest

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are starting to experience some of the trials of teaching that every new and experienced teacher encounter. There are some really great, and creative, strategies you could utilize to engage all your students. You can find a lot of them on pintrest. I know a couple years ago a student teacher had similar difficulties having students engage in class. She created a cool system that involved popsicle sticks, bright colors, and student names. Make sure when you are preparing your lessons you take a minute to step back and look at the lesson with more of a "big picture" mindset. Ask yourself questions like "does this flow" "are my directions clear" "are the concepts clear"; doing this may help you bring more structure and clarity to your lesson so you have less learner frustration.

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Erin. Great pictures and I enjoyed reading. Dr. Rice has great suggestions.

    I do suggest you think about creative "titles" for your post beyond indicating which week you are in!

    Keep grinding,

    DF

    ReplyDelete