Friday, March 11, 2016

State Legislative Leadership Conference 2016

This was one trip I never got to attend when I was in high school. This was a new experience for me. This conference was all about the legislative systems. We took 2 students with us. It was a 4.5 hour drive to get there. There were so many high points to attending this conference. I got the experience of a lifetime.


  • Judging proficiency awards takes time. I helped all day on Sunday to look through and judge these applications. I got to see all the hard work that went into these applications and books. This is something I can take with me wherever I go. 

  • I learned that you don't always need to be serious. There are times and places to be serious, but it was nice to have fun with my students and cohort members. We made the most out of our trip to Harrisburg.

Enjoying the weather and playground after community service
Community Service at a Harrisburg Church
  • Lastly, I learned to take opportunities and run with them. We decided to go to the capitol building to meet up with the legislatures from Lawrence county. We discussed the bills that were going through the House and Senate at the current moment. It is important to try and meet up with your local representatives. It got your name and cause out to them personally. They remember you and your stories. 

Representative Sainato giving us a tour of the Capitol Building
I took away so much from just these 3 days in Harrisburg. I loved every minute of it. This experience as well as my others are starting to add up. There are 6 more weeks left of student teaching. It is time to make the most of the rest of my time at Mohawk. 




1 comment: