Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sometimes you just have to take care of yourself (Week 13)

This was a very short week for me. I have spent only two days in the classroom. I learned a very valuable lesson this week. But first... let me tell you how it went.


  • Monday went very well. I picked up a new class and dropped the electricity course. That makes 3 classes I am teaching right now. I got to begin my unit on Floral Design and life was good! I was starting to feel a little under the weather, but just thought it was from the changing environment. Tuesday rolls around and I begin teaching my third period class. Fourth period goes by well and so does fifth. By sixth period I could barely say a word! My voice was gone and my throat was super sore. I tried to save my voice for the PAAE meeting that night, but was in so much pain the whole time and still couldn't say a word. I was really looking forward to teaching on Wednesday and attending the Career Development Events on Thursday, but I was told to stay home. I did come in to teach floral design because we had live materials. 

  • This week taught me that I need to take time to let myself heal. Going from a major toothache to not being able to talk within a week is not going to help my students get better in the classroom. For students to perform their best, I need to be on my best performance. I cannot do this when I can't even communicate clearly with the class. It kills me to be sitting at home instead of in the classroom, but sometimes you need that time to take care of yourself so you can perform better within the classroom. 

I learned this week that I need to take time and let my voice (and tooth!) heal before I take another wack at it in the classroom. Next week is a new week with a better, healthier self! 

I look forward to sharing my adventures of the centerpiece sale next week!
Ms. Yoest

No comments:

Post a Comment