Wednesday, April 20, 2016

SAE Visit #2

My second SAE visit was with a student in my Ag Business Management class. She is a senior at Mohawk and has kept amazing records on her projects thus far. She has records on her market hog, market steers, and breeding ewe. This students has grown her project from simply raising and showing market animals to raising and breeding animals to raise for the fair.

Mr. Wallace and I had visited her farm where the livestock is located. This consisted of a multiple acre farm with about 3 barns. It was a nice set up for raising cattle. It is her first year raising a market hog, but she is accommodating it well.

I prepared for this visit by reviewing her record books. I made sure her records were up to date, she had good descriptions, and to get to know her projects better. She is mainly holding projects in the area of entrepreneurship. This students has kept up amazing records, very clean and healthy environment for the livestock, and has utilized her skills to select strong, healthy animals. She has earned a high evaluation on her projects based on the criteria of record keeping and the progress of her projects. I would recommend that she improves her planning sections. I feel that she could have a deeper learning goal coming from each one.

My students have been making me proud with their SAE projects. This last visit has brought back my memories in the program. I cannot wait to hear about how her projects finish out during the fair!

1 comment:

  1. What types of questions do you ask at SAE visits? How do you challenge your students to improving/advancing their SAE's?

    LR

    ReplyDelete