Sunday, February 14, 2016

Wait... What are we doing? (Week 5)

So week 5 has come and gone. You know that thing called the "honeymoon phase"? Yea, its over. This was by far my hardest week yet. I picked up my 4th class about a week ago. I was an electrical class. I though to myself, how hard can it really be? This week I learned that patients is a virtue.


As the week went on, the students started to show their true colors. They had their phones out constantly, never paid attention, and I had the same question asked to me at least 4 times during the lesson.

"So what do we have to do?"

Demonstration team doing what they do best
I knew my lecture and directions were pretty clear, because the one half of the room started to work right away. The other half didn't pay attention at all! I got the same question from the same students each day. I was constantly repeating myself. As I sit back and think about those days, I wonder if things could have gone better if I had a listening signal or have just said it once. This article is from Edutopia has some cool ideas to get students to listen. Instead of repeating myself to produce "Lazy Listeners," I am going to try hand signals to gain attention. This is all part of trying to create a classroom environment that suites the students. Every class is different. 

This week also had some amazing points. I got the opportunity to attend the Rotary meeting with Mr. Wallace and the 1st place Demonstration team. The students displayed their skills with a run through of their winning speech. On Friday, I got to join the Ag and Tech departments on a professional development field trip. We visited the Western Pennsylvania Laborer's Training Center. We were able to get an insight on their facilities and how their training works. We also got the opportunity to learn about Lindy Paving and a virtual training program that will allow for students to get an idea on highway construction work. Both of these working areas are in need of young people to join their crews. With this insight, we are able to present to the students these opportunities waiting for them outside of school. 




Until next week,
Ms. Yoest

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you are utilizing the vast amount of resources available to teachers. Edutopia is a great resource and provides excellent advice on classroom management.

    LR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin,
    Keep in mind that the most effective classroom management tool is in an engaging lesson.

    If students feel compelled to look at their phones, perhaps the lesson is not designed in such a way that is challenging and/or engaging.

    Just a thought. Don't forget the lessons from Dr. Levin. His reading might be a great place to start,

    DF

    ReplyDelete