Friday, September 25, 2015

Teaching Lab #3

I decided to create my interest approach on shop safety. I wanted to incorporate an E-Moment into my interest approach and wanted it to be kinesthetic. Student's don't get to move around much when discussing shop safety. I had students collect items from around the room. These items were a mixture of safety PPE and unsafe clothing.


Here are some points from throughout the lesson.


  1. I need to be careful for filler words, especially "ummm." I can continue to practice or think about what I am going to say to fix this issue. 
  2. I caught the student's who were using technology and talking out right away, but I feel like I could have handled the situation better. Next time, when someone is using their phone during an individual project, I could say, "Hey Stacia! Since it looks like you are finished with the assignment, can you look up three points on welding safety that we have not talked about yet?"
  3. When I was teaching through my interest approach, I noticed that picking students' brains is very important.Integrating open ended questions in your lesson will open new doors to a student's learning. Choosing those questions is important as well because you want the questions to lead somewhere. By clicking here you can read about 5 powerful questions that when used effectively can create and engaged classroom. 

As the days go on, I improve with my planning and teaching. The most important part is that I have fun doing it.

Remember, "The art and science of asking questions is the source of all knowledge." -Thomas Berger

3 comments:

  1. Awesome post Erin! You have certainly done a lot of reflection on this lab, and I think that it is fantastic that you developed goals for next lab. Filler words are definitely tough, so stay strong and practice practice practice! A lot of is are struggling with this, so we can help each other out. Additionally, have well planned and thought out questions really add to lessons, so I think it is great that you pointed that out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin: Overall, I loved your reflection, it shows that you are really taking down pros and cons and trying to make yourself a better teacher. I know that with your determination, you can help fix those filler words and we can all help you out with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice organization of your points of improvement! As a "student" in your class I thought you did a good job. Remember to build excitement with your class. Getting us walking around was definitely a great move and I recommend hiding your PPE in bags next time so students are excited what could be hidden inside. This also makes it clear which items students have to find around the room because they are all in bags.

    ReplyDelete