Thursday, September 17, 2015

First Day of Class Lab!

One Wednesday, I taught my "first day of class." I went in to it thinking I had a much better lesson than my RTL from two weeks ago. I will be teaching shop safety, so this lesson came from my shop safety unit. Here are some snapshots from my lesson!

1. Having clarity when giving directions would have helped me in the first few minutes of class. To fix this I could have wrote more directions on the board instead of verbal. My intent was to have students talk among each other to learn more about their fellow classmates. They were supposed to pick up one new fact about their partner to share with the class. Instead, they wrote down their answers individually and then shared with their partner. The intent wasn't to have students "think-pair-share," but in that situation I was in I became flexible. Next time, I need to have very clear, short set of directions if I am giving them verbally AND ask if there are any questions before they begin.

2. I should have ordered the way I discussed the classroom expectations, procedures, and consequences different. I discussed the 5 Bees of the Classroom (my expectations) then went over the consequences and finally the procedures. I should have placed the procedures in between the expectations and consequences. This will create a smoother transition in between the three.

3. Filler words! I have a bad habit of using the word "umm" in a situation where I am trying to find the right words to say. To try and fix my bad habit, or make it less noticeable, is to practice at home with what I want to say, and how I want to say it. I can also jot those down in my lesson plan so it is always there if I get loose track during a lesson.

I feel like I am improving with the more I learn in class and applying it to the lab. I am happy with the outcome and feedback from the students. They really enjoyed the part of the lesson where they created expectations for me as their teacher. It helped establish respect between the students and teacher because of the fact that I want the environment to be a positive one for them.





Until next time, "What you do today can improve all your tomorrows." -Ralph Marston

Erin Yoest









5 comments:

  1. Both the verbal and written instructions are important, especially to reach diverse learners. I'm glad you ar noticing this now so you can build it into your student teaching experience. One of the techniques I recall state FFA officers learning as they were preparing for workshops is not using "Are there any questions?" But rather "What questions do you have?" (I can't recall the rationale, but it's a phrase I've come to use.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The nice thing about these labs is that its all just practice so that when we get to the classroom we don't make these mistakes. You will improve just like the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin like Dr. Foster said I like your twist on the expectations and consequences the "5 Be"s. During your lesson work on your tone and amplifying your voice at times. Don't be afraid to own the stage its your classroom! You stated improving on your clarity as well. Sometimes what we think is understandable it isn't for our students. I struggled with clarity as well in my unit! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have said it before, and I will say it again! I really loved your posters concerning the "Bee's" expectations and the "Stingers" when they are not met. Way to BEE creative!!

    ReplyDelete