Tuesday, November 3, 2015

National Convention Recap!

It was another successful year at the National FFA Convention finishing up its last days in Louisville, Kentucky. Just last year I was walking across that stage to receive my American Degree. This year I went as a student teacher with Mohawk and Wilmington high schools. I had a relatively shorter week that other convention goers. We began our trek bright and early Thursday morning. Here are some highlights from the trip.


  • Thursday We didn't spend any time at the convention center. It was filled with food, tours, and the Belle of Louisville boat trip. The students got to tour the Kentucky Speedway. Our tour guide was amazing with the kids. She took them to the owner's suite let the driver of our chartered bus race around the track, and let the students set foot on the track. For some, I think this was the highlight of the trip. On the Belle of Louisville, students got to mingle with their friends from around the state of Pennsylvania. They had the chance to dance the night away, or take in the city of Louisville views. 

  • Friday We made it to the convention center. The students got to attend a session as well as the expo hall. Mr. Wallace had received his Honorary American Degree during this session. National FFA had brought in an amazing keynote speaker for this session. She made an impact in everyone's life that day. I took advantage of the little time I had at the expo hall to gather as many resources as I could to bring back to the rest of my class. Today was also filled with tours and dinner. 











  • Saturday Students got the opportunity to walk around the shopping mall or attend the American Degree ceremony. From Mohawk and Wilmington there were 10 American Degrees earned today. This was also the day I realized that students are beginning to accept me as their student teacher. 






Through it all, I got the experience of knowing the students on a relaxed level. I don't feel as nervous anymore going into the classroom as I was. The time with Mr. Wallace and Mrs. McKelvey was very beneficial. Even though I won't be student teaching at Wilmington, the two chapters work closely together and it is important to know their side as well. I learned to respect the students and they will respect you, stay calm in any situation, and give the students the freedom to explore. You never know what they will discover next!

No comments:

Post a Comment